Sunday, October 14, 2012

I loved Church today. It was refreshing, fulfilling and challenging to be reminded of the importance of guardrails in my personal life.

When I left, I was filled with truth and a challenge to change as well as something to question.

Here's the source of my atheist-inspired question of the week:

So, there was this guy who had a small family, barely making ends meet. He denies his company's health insurance because it's too expensive. Three weeks later he finds out he's about to have another kid. Said company graciously offers to back date the insurance but he takes the moral high ground and denies the help because it isn't honest.

Good! Up to this point in the story I'm on board. Good choice.

Day of the pregnancy comes and the hospital is full so they're put into a more expensive room and the bill sky rockets!

"Random" lady comes in and the guy fills out "some paper," an investigation happens and the entire bill is wiped clean.

THANK YOU JESUS!

Hmmm...

Everyone else walked out of that service thinking "Wow, what a cool miracle." But I've been tainted too much by the friggin' atheists. To me, and the atheist community, there was a skewed observation of the events:

Not a "random person" but hospital or government employee came into the room representing a health assistance program that some EXTREMELY generous PEOPLE had the wisdom and kindness to set up in advance for people with financial hardships.

They filled out an application that didn't go to Jesus's desk, but another hospital or government employee's where they had the kindness to, at the sacrifice of someone else's finances, forgive the debt.

I understand the argument that God used these people since it's all His money anyways; but I promise that other poor non-Christians received the same assistance.

Why do we overlook these wonderful people? Yes, thank God. But let's not discredit the people involved.

The story just reminded me of these two posts I saw on the atheist blog:



As someone who has experienced a legitimate miraculous healing, I see the flaw in the 2nd image. The truth is however, very few of us have experienced that and our "healings" come from the hard work of researches, scientists and doctors.

I'm not arguing that we shouldn't thank God for these things, but we look like total jerks when we ONLY thank God. To many of the people who he used to provide for us, he's an imaginary guy in the sky... and it must make them feel like crap to be overlooked like that...

To be fair, I know that I've done this my entire life... I think we all have.


Prayer:
God, help me to show your servants the gratitude they deserve while not requiring it myself. Show me the people that I am overlooking and help me spread the love that you want them to feel.

I'm looking forward to entering back into a season where I am able to attend church more often. I've given up on the idea that it will ever be the same though. I know these kinds of thoughts and questions will plague me every time I go. I sincerely hope that I'm not just turning into an ass but that God is challenging me because he wants to draw me closer... whether or not that is the case, I'm still unsure of.

3 comments:

  1. Yes you are an ass, but I agree with you man. To often we look at like with rose colored Christian glasses and think God does everything good, and satan does everything bad. Truth is God does good all the time, and he uses good and bad people to make that good possible. And that same God, allows really crappy stuff to happen too. Why? I don't have a clue...

    I am also jaded when I hear that story and think, why does a person have to rely upon the government or social services to be there for them? Back in the day, the people relied upon the church for support, clothing, food, shelter, but now the church puts its money into other things. 2 things, love the lord your God with all you heart mind soul and then love your neighbor (not as a distant person you don't know or have never met before) but love them as YOURSELF. If we gave to our neighbors as much as we gave to ourselves...wow...if the church gave to their neighbors and community as much as they give to themselves...look the frig OUT. That is a revolution....Sorry to take over your blog haha. Good post man, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. And I think most Christians would agree so we say "Stop it government! That's the church's job!" but then don't do anything to change it. And on top of that, we vote down every politician that supports those programs. We're not afraid to use them when we need them though, because heck, God provided it, not tax dollars...

      I think as a Christian, I'd even be ok with paying more in taxes for those types of programs. But I don't know... the best would definitely be handing someone the cash myself instead of having uncle sam as a middle man...
      Nah, you're right, that's a distant person, neighbor is better. If we all just took care of our neighbor (and the occasional 3rd world village of course!) we'd solve most of our problems...

      Delete
    2. Another note.

      The church doesn't provide for each other, because we're too disconnected and or proud to even share our problems. Our lives should be so close people are provided for the need before help is even asked for... but that would require openness and transparency... scary stuff for most people in the world. maybe that's what is meant by "becoming stained by the world."

      Delete